Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Food Diary: I Ate Red Vines

Some have scoffed at my I Ate Almonds, I Ate a Breakfast Burrito, and I Ate a Donut blog posts.

They said that it was all about me...and what I ate...and who cares?!

However, this morning I am vindicated. I am bolstered. And I am even more commited to blogging about what I eat.

Yes, I am going to blog about eating a pack of Red Vines today. But first, the reason for my new found conviction. Reuters is reporting today that a study shows that those that keep a food diary just about every day lose about twice as much weight as those who do not.

That's right folks...twice as much weight as those who did not!

Study shows value of food diary in losing weight

WASHINGTON - Keeping a food diary -- a detailed account of what you eat and drink and the calories it packs -- is a powerful tool in helping people lose weight, U.S. researchers said on Tuesday.

The study involving 1,685 middle-aged men and women over six months found those who kept such a diary just about every day lost about twice as much weight as those who did not.

The skinny...

"For those who are working on weight loss, just writing down everything you eat is a pretty powerful technique," Victor Stevens of Kaiser Permanente's Center for Health Research in Portland said in a telephone interview.

"It helps the participants see where the extra calories are coming from, and then develop more specific plans to deal with those situations," said Stevens, who helped lead the study published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine.

The technique also helps hold dieters accountable for what they are eating, Stevens said.


I'm not going to rub into your noses...you scoffers you! After all, two months of my friend telling me I should write down everything I eat didn't sway me to do so. It's only recently that I've attempted to blog and/or write down my intake. I'm far from perfection. Some days I don't journal anything. But now I have no excuse!

Back to the Red Vines. So, the other night, I had a craving for something sweet. I never, hardly ever, crave Red Vines, the Original Red Twists. But I bought a pack and ate it all in no time. I felt bad. I mean emotionally bad. My stomach seemed to fare better.

What was the calorie damage? About 400 calories worth. No worries on the fat grams though...that's a big zero. Total carbs were 72 grams, 48 coming from sugar.

So there...I feel better now. You know why?

I blogged about it!

_______________

TheBigRuski's Marketplace Notes: I'm still waiting on my bottle of MonaVie to arrive. As I've written before, I take 2 ounces in the morning and night. It might not be the "miracle juice," but I tell you what, it works for me. I'm not a big fruit eater and this makes up for it! Find out more about the 19-fruit blend at MonaVie.

DIGG story!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey checking out your writing,I also am a big fan of licorice and strolled around downtown the other day with a huge bag(RED) that was on sale and loved every last piece.
Ah you only live once.But I do think that whatever our struggles are this is a great medium for helping make it easier,so my hats off to you.Plus once your motivated weight is at first easy to take off,keeping it off....
Cool blog let me hit the next one.

Anonymous said...

I ate the whole pack of Red Vines I bought the other day. Good thing it wasn't the BIG 2lb bag from Wal-mart. I felt bad that I ate the whole thing, but I couldn't stop myself....btw....this is my first blog! WooHoo Suz from Louisiana

Unknown said...

To Suz from Louisiana:
Did you find Red Vines for sale in Louisiana? And if so, where? Have a friend I'm visiting abroad that asked me to pick some up.